North Korea fired at least three unidentified projectiles Monday, according to U.S. and South Korean officials, the second such move by the Kim Jong Un regime in two weeks.
South Korea’s Defense Ministry said it detected different types of short-range projectiles fired from the Sondok area on North Korea’s east coast into the waters between the Korean Peninsula and Japan.
The South Korean Defense Ministry said the launches could be “joint strike drills that include multiple types of multiple rocket launchers” as part of Pyongyang’s winter military drills.
North Korean state media said it carried out military exercises that began on February 28, the one-year anniversary of Kim’s summit in Hanoi with US President Donald Trump which ended without a deal. They continued March 2, when Pyongyang fired two unidentified short-range projectiles from an area near the coastal city of Wonsan, about 65 kilometers (40 miles) south of Sondok.
Two other U.S. officials said the launch was not unexpected. One of the officials said “signs” had been observed but didn’t say what they were. “We are aware of a North Korean missile launch this morning into the East Sea, will continue to monitor the situation and are consulting closely with our South Korean and Japanese allies,” United States Forces Korea said in a statement. The recent launches come after a nearly two-month pause in similar activities by North Korea.